Baby

Crib rail covers

Somewhere between tooth 7 and 8, my child has turned into a busy busy beaver. The appearance of tooth number 9, which happens to be a molar, has made it even worse. His favorite thing to gnaw on? His crib. The stain appears to be water-based, so that’s good, but then he started getting to where there were splinters. Something had to be done.

P1150195.JPG

So I turned to google.

Put vinegar on the rails. Um no. I hate the smell of vinegar. And if the stain is water-based, then won’t that wash it off? And wouldn’t it have to be reapplied frequently? I’m much too lazy for that.

Cut felt the length of the rail, sew on. Hmm, that might work, I have a bunch of white felt. But I wanted something that was removable and washable. If it’s sewn on to the crib, I can’t wash it, right?

Finally, someone used strips of fleece and tied it over the rails like a tied blanket. Ok, that I can do, except for a few problems. I have no fleece. Where do I find fleece in August in Italy? The Italians don’t strike me as particularly fleece-y people. Also, it is August and everyone and their uncle are on vacation.

I looked at my stash to see what I had to work with and came up with a blue polka-dot batik. I started to get an idea and went to work. Our crib is a mini-crib, the same size as your average pack’n’play, and the side rails are the same length as the fabric folded in half. Fortunately, his mouth isn’t big enough to chew on the long, curved sides.

P1150191.JPG
Such a great helper!

I cut the fabric 10 inches wide (after removing the baby), and then cut batting the same size. I figured we needed all the padding we can get between baby beaver and the crib. I cut two 2-inch strips the width of the fabric, then cut them into four for the ties.

P1150192.JPG

For the ties, I just folded and sewed. I didn’t iron, though that probably would have been easier. When it’s 90 degrees, you wouldn’t want to turn on your iron, either. Once the ties were sewn, I stacked all the pieces: batting, back, ties, top. I pinned all the way around, leaving an opening for turning. I made sure to pin down all parts of the ties because it would be just my luck I would sew them in the wrong place.

I sewed all the way around, turned it, repinned and sewed around the outside. A couple rows down the middle for batting support, and it’s done!

P1150194.JPG

It is similar to a crib bumper, just thinner to allow it to fold nicely over the rails. The ties ended up being long enough that I could double-knot them under the rail AND to the sides.

P1150196.JPG

Take that, baby beaver!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s